Texas Pig Hunt…
6 months ago admin 0
I had gotten permission to hunt some property in NE Texas just a few days ago, 684 acres to be exact. 60 percent is in pasture, mixture between hay fields and corn. The other 40 percent is wooded. The owner told me he had a lot of hogs tearing up his pasture and asked me to go wreck havoc on them. So, I called a buddy of mine, Case,y who loves to hunt the piggies almost as much as I do to set up a hunt.
We met Saturday morning, switched his gear over to my truck and we were off. It was cloudy and cool, around 65 degrees. As we headed north it began to rain, which was a good sign, it would cover any noise we made. It continued to rain the whole way there, and once we arrived it began to rain very hard, so we decided to do some shooting in a barn just to make sure our gear was on. Once it lightened up a little bit we headed out. The land owner told me that a creek ran the length of the northern edge of the property so we set out for the creek with the plan of spot and stalking the length of the creek. It was rough going getting to the creek due to all the rain, the pastures were soaked.
Good thing we were both wearing rubber boots, each step we took we would sink past our ankles. We stopped often to rest, and on one particular break, we had a surprise. We stopped and were going over our plan we were going to use once we got into the woods that runs along the creek when we hear the shrill squeal that makes the hair standup on the back of your neck.
Needless to say it scared us. Before we had a chance to catch our senses, a little meat pig about 100 pounds busts out of the brush squealing and runs right between myself and Casey, I tried to step back and fell on my rear, Casey tried to turn and run, and slipped and fell on his face, and we both turn to watch this perfect little pig running as fast as he can through a flooded hay field. It was quite comical. Once we gathered ourselves and checked over our gear, just a little bit of mud on our bows, nothing serious, we decided that was a good sign.
Little did we know that that was the only pig we would see. We continued on and found the creek; we could see trails at every bend where the pigs were crossing. To say there were a lot of pigs on this place would be an understatement, it was overrun! We walked the entire length of the creek and decided to go check a pasture towards the front of the property where the owner said he had seen a few pigs in the past. When we made it to the pasture it was very clear that the pigs had taken advantage of the rain, and had bathed in this pasture!
They had destroyed probably 2 acres of a 50-60 acre pasture. It was all fresh, we picked up a few strands of hair in every little mud pit these pigs had made. With hay bails littered throughout the pasture we decided to sit behind one that was within bow range to a trail running into the tree line. We didnt see a single pig for the rest of the day, but the day was still a success in our books.
We found where the pigs were, and since they had been spotted in the same pasture before, odds are that that is a frequent spot for them. It provided a few laughs, a moment of concern, and an overall good time spent in the woods with a good friend, and I think that is what hunting is really all about. I am sure the next time out will provide me with more memories and maybe a pig or two.